With age comes wisdom, but also sagging skin. By the time you move into your forties, skin tissue changes that have already been underway for several years will be making their unwelcome arrival. Time and gravity begin taking their toll, as skin loses its elasticity and begins drooping. This development can definitely make you look older than you may feel. Fortunately, a procedure called a neck lift can help.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift is a type of cosmetic surgery that can help you tighten up all of that loose, baggy skin around your neck area, leading to a more sleek and youthful appearance, not to mention a dramatic boost in your self-confidence.
During a neck lift procedure, your surgeon will be lifting and pulling the skin around the upper neck as well as possibly repairing the platysma, the muscle that runs along the front of the neck. They can also remove excess fat deposits in the area, which may be accomplished through a liposuction procedure. The end result is a tightened and contoured neck area, and a more youthful appearance.
Would I make a good candidate for a neck lift?
There are some reasons why you might want to consider undergoing a neck lift:
- To have a more slender and defined neck
- To remove excess fat and skin in the neck area
- If you are in good overall health and have realistic expectations about your outcome
Before undergoing any type of medical procedure, you need to weigh the positives with the negatives so that you can make an informed decision about your appearance and health.
Neck Lift Pros
- Enhances facial balance by creating a distinct and strong jawline
- Can be performed as a standalone procedure
- Reduces double chin size and excess neck fat deposits
- Creates a more youthful profile and rejuvenated appearance
Neck Lift Cons
- Facial swelling and bruising may take a few weeks to resolve. So, it is not recommended if you have an important event or outdoor vacation planned soon after the surgery.
- As with any type of surgery, some minor bleeding and swelling is normal.
Neck Lift Alternatives
Before committing to any type of cosmetic surgery, it’s important to take an honest look at your alternatives so that you make the best decision for yourself and your individual needs. There are non-invasive procedures like laser skin tightening and minimally invasive procedures like FaceTite that may be a better option for you depending on your goals, budget and downtime constraints.
The Bottom Line
Ultimately, you’ll need to take part in a consultation with your provider to determine if a neck lift procedure makes the most sense for you and your unique situation.
If you undergo a neck lift, be sure to follow all postoperative instructions so that you make a full and rapid recovery and achieve the results that you’re looking for.
To book a consultation for any of your skincare or plastic surgery questions, contact the office of Queen City Plastic Surgery at 704-751-4595 or use our simple online form. Our conveniently located Charlotte office welcomes patients from throughout the region and across the country.